Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Module one ch10

Chapter 10
For this chapter I had to occupy myself with several kinds of inlay
appliqué. There are design ideas of counterchange and interchange of
positive and negative shapes.
My first sampler is a hand stitched sampler of insertion stitches with a
gap between fabrics. Stitches shown in picture starting from the left side:
(I have to translate the german name of the stitches) The first two gaps:
Knoten –Stäbchenstich= knotted bar stitch ,Kretischer Stäbchenstich=
cretan bar stitch,Büschel-Stäbchenstich= tuft bar stitch, Knopfloch-
Stäbchenstich= botton bar stitch, Antwerpener Kantenstich in
Durchzugtechnik verbunden= laced insertion stitch



The next sample is a mix of hand stitch and machine stitch. I had big
trouble to receive the gap between the felt stripes by embroidering with
the machine. I did not succeed so well. Thus I like most the
embroidering by hand with regard to this technique .
The material of both samples existed from kuninfelt embellished with
several snippets of fabric and yarns. I used for this my baby lock
embellisher

The following exercise has to show a counterchange designing a star or cross
shape from two contrasting papers.




 Counterchange samples with two different felt fabrics.
I used a simple star pattern to create a counter change design similar to the sample a in Chapter 3 The felt
was embellished with my embellisher using several fabric snippets. The stars were
insertion stitched with an antique seam stitch.. The first picture shows my felted piece for the counterchange stars.





Counterchange sample two
I choosed a counterchange design similar to example I in design sheet C in
chapter 3. I have selected four differents kuninfelt and embellished wools.
The insertion stitched are machine stitched.



Interchange sample 3
The design for this exercises is more complex and I refer to the exercise VI in
design sheet B in chapter 3 .The star and the cross are cutting from two scares
and their positive and negative shape form a new design which is part of the
old one






A detail of the right square











a detail of the left square









Positive and negative shapes swapped

First the felted pieces with fabric snippets  and effect yarns














Two squares with different shapes and the cross shape cutted from both
designs



 The new squares one with the inserted cross from the other.



The cutted crosses had been fit with antique seam stitches. The edges of the left
square had been emphasized with a contrasted and couched thread . The shape
edges ot the right square had been stitched with buttonhole stitch.


All inlay apliqué shapes together in a collage edited with PSP9 and photoshop

3 comments:

Ela Kreativ said...

Hi Maren, deine Filze sind richtig schön geworden. Hast du schon überlegt, was du mit den interessanten Streifen anfangen kannst?
Tolle Arbeit, weiter so!!!!!!!!!!
Renate

Barbara B. said...

Wow, Maren, superschön. Die Sampler gefallen mir besonders!
LG Barbara

Catherine Slater said...

Hi Maren,
Julia Green told me about your wonderful work. We are both at about the same stage as you are (although I am a little behind you two). Your work is so beautiful - very colourful and free and your stitching is very skilled. I love how you have stretched the boundaries of the brief and have used a wide variety of techniques.
Catherine Slater