Tuesday, 30 March 2010

Module one evaluation of the resolve sample

The completed embroidered assessment piece for Module One is a collage of stars on a felted background based on the design topic of growth and disintegration. The felting gave me a great pleasure. In spite of the rattling of the embellisher I felt the slowly movements with my hands on the wool under the embellisher as a very meditative activity, especially the observation, how the multicoloured wool melted itself I got a nice contrast and a dainty effect felting with the yarn Helipam from Anne Lange. I let the small bouclé button getting slack on the felted background. I like the felted background very much

                                picture1
 But now I should have to cut out a star shape from the nice surface to include a blue appliqué star?? So, how I had drawn it in my sketch??------ I must consider an alternative how the felted effect yarns can be integrated together with the star shape There I have just thought about my painted silk paper. I bonded it with
bondaweb on white cotton and cut a frame of an irregular star and iron it again on my felted background. To form the star a little bit more three-dimensional I padded the middle section with needle felt and form it in the machine trapunto technique. And the subject is also called disintegration. So the star surface is worked discontinuously by needle points technique. I used the effect yarns to hang up my net loops. The star shape are partially covered in irregular needle lace.. The turquoise-coloured woollen yarn looked beautifully on the copper coloured background. I am content with the present result; but now how I should continue??.
                                  Picture3
 My sketch shows a wreath of small irregular stars overlay the big one which only exists of the intact turquoise-coloured edge and with the irregular needle lace surface. This means that my present embroidery is covered. What a misery!!! And the whole nice needle lace embroidery was for nothing???.
                                    Picture4
 …..So how it would be with an inlay appliqué…..; 2 parts will be cut out from the present work exchanged and reinserted


                                    Picture6
And some small stars will be appliqué in a disintegrated manner, like stars of a firework which die away Oh I ascertain hardly anything is left from my original sketch. Unfortunately, this often happened that the joy of working run of with me and I waste no more thought of the real designany more. This is okay as for the rest if Iwork a project only for myself. But now there are some techniques asked for which I have to work So I can also check off inlay appliqué , the revers technique also . I will work a star shape in terms of getting smaller and put the shapes from different fabrics on top of each other.

Picture7
                                                    Picture8
                                                        picture9
 picture 10 the inserted counterchange piece ,french knots filled the other cutted part
picture 11   dtail of the needle lace and the effect yarn, which has been emphasized with contour stitches

By that I have worked three techniques from growth and disintegration. And I think that’s enough Finally, the resolve sample should not be bigger than 20x20cm.
                                   picture 12  the resolve sample

The following questions are to be answered in connection with the evaluation
Do you feel satisfied with the results?
Yes, I am pleased
If yes, which parts in particular?
I like the color combination and the depths of the felted material and also the setting of the main star shape and the little once I feel the piece in a good balance and harmony.
Is it fit for it’s purpose?
I mean it shows both design and embroidery. I showed the disintegration with the star surface worked discontinuously by needle points technique. Both growth and disintegration was depicted by the big star and the little once. And these by fraying the silk for the star shape and by cutting a smaller and a bigger star shape for the lower right part of the collage

If you were asked to make it again, what changes would you make ?
I would leave out the counterchange part and would like more stitched outlines of a star.

Costing of the embroidered sample
Fabric and effect yarns about 12 Euro( I can only estimate the costs, because the most of the materials are in my stash, as the wool for felting and the embroidery yarns and the fabrics, which I dyed and printed)
Timing of the embroidered sample
Design Work was started on 03.03.2010 and completed on 14.03.2010 Embroidery Work was started on 26.03.2010 and finished on 29.03.2010 Total labor on Design = 8 hours Total labor on Embroidery = 24 h
Storage of Work, Materialsours Tools and Equipment
The design work in process: Ikea storage boxes labeled by their contents The completed design work: The same boxes also labeled by their contents The colored papers are in a ring binder and all papers are scanned
Inks, paints, glues and brushes are stored in several chests of drawers Embroidery yarn are sorted by colors in plastic boxes also the beads and the material for embellishments like tyvek and silk roads The fabrics are sorted by color in my cupboard in my studio The sewing machine is in my studio on the sewing table
The electrical equipment like iron and iron table are stored in my shelving system.

Health and Safety Rules Observed

Use care when cutting with a utility knife – use a cutting board to ensure your work does not slip
Use the heat gun and paints only with opened window Take a rest after several hours of stitching or sewing
No pins in the mouth Do not rub your eyes with paint on your hands

2 comments:

Ela Kreativ said...

Hallo Maren, da ist Dir schon wieder ein schönes Stück gelungen!
Ich stimme Dir zu, dass man ans Aufhören denken muss, solange noch Zeit, hm, Platz dafür ist. Die verdichtete Partie und der Stern, der über den Rand hinaus ragt, gefallen mir besonders gut. Weiter so und viel Spaß beim kreativen Tun.
Renate

Julia said...

I love your work! I am just finishing off exercise 12 of module 1 with Sian Martin. I wish my work could be as free and spontaneous as yours. Its beautiful. Well done.