Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Module two ch4

Chapter four
Drawing patterns from animal markings
The focus of this chapter was to identify patterns in animal markings and created linear sketches to use as a starting point for patterns creations using paper and fabric. For this I selected several pictures of animals and copied them in black and white to focus on the pattern. In addition to the developed patterns I
listed words with the descriptions of the animals behaviour and movements. For the overlay display I posted the animal pictures, some of my sketches, the patterned papers and fabrics created in chapter 5 and chapter6 to show the development of the design from the picture and the words.The suggestions way of working on using animal markings to translate design:
-study the animal in large format
-scan the picture into the computer and enlarge so that you only view a
section abstractly
-Use graphic filter to look at the photo in black and white pencil, look at the
“edges” only
-Sketch or trace exactly or look at the overall pattern to develop a stylized version I tried this both using freehand and tracing on the computer
- View the picture in “negative” to help see the impact of the white pattern
- Grey tones can be represented in your sketches by using pen and ink to vary tone Good pens make a difference in sketching.
I used a pencil, chalc-pastel pencils in different grey tones and a felt pen. Some patterns I developed
with the graphic program PSP9. By that I achieved results that I would like to implement once in blackwork embroidery technique.



                                                                  picture 1
Chameleon – changing ( , they adapt by changing their colour appearanceto their surroundings) , climbing,.
The collage shows shibori dying, drawing with a chalk-pencil, monoprinting on paper and fabric
and machine sewings

                                                                  picture 2
Gecko a lizard like reptil, a very goog climber, he even manages to run along walls I created the collage with shibori technique, a drawing with felt-tip pen, monoprinting on fabric, and paper printing. I also used the imprint of my bent finger for the pattern

                                                                    picture 3
Peacock: proud, magnificent, impressive, swaggering gait.For the collage, I used a Shiboriprint, a drawing with the drawing tools of Photoshop CS3 and a cable stitch with my sewing machine

                                                              picture 4
Butterfly: Fluttering light, colorful, vulnerable The collage again contains a shiboridruck, two drawings in pencil and chalk, a pattern developed with Photoshop, utility stitches with my sewing machine and a paper
for the printing, I used the corner of my check card as a drawing tool

                                                            picture 5
Tiger:sneak, jump far silently,, strips The images show a drawing with chalk pencils, a Schiboriprint, utility stitches with my sewing machine, and a color print of my index finger.

                                                                     picture 6
Zebra: fast, striped,herd animal The background of the collage is a pattern that I developed with Photoshop from a selection of the rear part of a Zebra. The collage also shows another monoprint on fabric, a paper printing and a drawing with a felt pen

                                                                       picture 7  

Goose :cumbersome,waddle, fairy tale character,they remain a life-long faithful to their partners
for the collage, I used monoprint on fabric, printed paper with acrylic paint, stencelling with oillsticks on
paper, and a drawing with a chalk-pencil

                                                                            picture 8
   Giraffe, fast, very long, herd animals, The background of the collage is a patterned fabric, painted with a
bleach pencil, the images show a paper printed with a linocut, and a monoprint on fabric   
costs for this chapter are minimal.I had the most of the material in my stuff.
Working time ca 20 hours                                       

No comments: