Sunday, 30 May 2010

workshop weekend with Ineke Berlyn

There are almost four weeks ago, I attended the course in screen printing and Embellishment with Ineke Berlyn. Ineke had brought a large selection ofscreens , she had made with a thermofax machine. We were able to draw on unlimited resources. For me this course had brought a lot of confidence in dealing to the screen printing technique.Several  months ago I had let make some screens of my own motives, but it was short of the professional guidance and  Ineke was very dedicated., We should produce two objects . First, a book cover. For this purpose we made a composition of brought scraps , which were ironed on fusible fleece. We had a background for our screen printing . Then  the embellishment took place with machine stitches, hand embroidery and appliquéd motifs. The second object was a bag made of recycled old jeans.My bag will be an examination gift for my daughter Julia.. I lined the bag with a batik fabric that is from a pair of trousers from Julia that I had made for her years ago and she had taken up almost shone through the bottom. I had brought the cloth from behind  out of the garbage bin.My book cover will be a picture. My husband convinced me that the finished piece is too good for a book cover 

 the recycled bag for Julia


my finished picture

4 comments:

Julia said...

Wow Maren! How wonderful. I love them both and want to have a go! Are the house outlines on the bookwrap stitched and screen printed?
Ineke lives about 30 miles from me, I've met her a couple of times and have one of her books but have not been fortunate enough to do one of her workshops (yet).
Julia x
PS. Your daughter has a very good name! he he!

Stitch Loop said...

What great fun. I love the idea of printing onto an applied and stitched surface. Sian

Murgelchen94..... Be yourself...an original is always more valuable than a copy. said...

Dein Bild ist fantastisch geworden.

LG,
Helga

Anonymous said...

Your work is beautiful. Screen printing over applique and stitch is a great idea and I love your use of text and image together. I hope your daughter likes the bag - it is a wonderful gift to give something of yourself.